As per the data from 2016 census, nearly 14 per cent of Canadians live alone as compared to 1.8 per cent in 1951. The major reason behind this gradual fall is unhappy relationships. The overall marriage rate is also on a decline, which poses a simple question in front of us, is it so difficult to handle a relationship? At The Family Enhancement Centre, we understand these challenges and help you strengthen your relationship with your spouse.
Improving a marriage does not require a gigantic intervention. With small changes in your daily habits, you can make a big difference in your relationship. We share with you some effective ways to strengthen your relationship and experience a marital bliss.
7 Ways to Improve Your Relationship
1. Set Couple Goals: Be a team of two and strive to achieve common goals that you both have set together. These goals need not be big goals. Even a small gesture like making a decision to spend quality time with your spouse can go a long way. One of the major components of a happy relationship is trying to achieve the set of common goals. It will ensure that you both are moving in the same direction. Every time you achieve a milestone, you can celebrate together as your wins are their wins too!
2. Practice Acceptance and Appreciation: The key to strengthening your relationship is acceptance and appreciation. Instead of complaining about every small thing, learn to accept the qualities of your spouse. Remember, no one is perfect, neither are you. Appreciate them for every effort they make to improvise the relationship and make them feel like you genuinely compliment them.
3. Schedule a Date Night Each Week: We all are busy in our lives, may it be because of our daily choruses, family obligations, commitments with friends or any other reason. We often miss on devoting time to nurture our relationship with our spouse. It is important to nourish your relationship on a regular basis. You can schedule a date night after checking the availability of your partner. It will not only give you some ‘we time’ but will also work wonders in your relationship.
4. Put Down All The Distractions: When you are with your partner, nothing else should bother you. Try and turn off all the distractions that are causing you to pay less attention to them. Keep your mobile aside, turn off the laptop and shut off the TV while you are having a conversation with them.
5. Be a Good Listener: A famous quote by Diogenes says, “We have two ears and one tongue so that we would listen more and talk less.” You must practice this to improvise your relationship. Too much talking and not listening can wreak havoc on communication. Show your partner that you are really interested in talking to them. Remember, the art of conversation lies in listening.
6. Keep The Playfulness Alive: One of the positive aspects of being in a long relationship is that you get to know each other very well. On the flip side, the negative aspect is that the novelty wears off. So give a spark to your relationship by having fun activities together. Keep the age factor aside and indulge in some indecent or bawdy activities.
7. Focus on the Positive: Focus on what is going well rather than cribbing on what is going wrong in your relationship. Put your energy into fixing things and improving your relationship instead of finding reasons to fight. Figure out what keeps you happy in a relationship and share your feelings with your partner. Ask them also to do the same. This way you both can take care of each other’s feelings.
These are some effective ways to strengthen your relationship with your spouse. Apart from these, you can also recall your good times and show how much you love and feel for each other. Strong relationships don’t just happen; they take time, patience and efforts from two people who truly want to be together. Use these tips and strengthen your relationship right away.
If you want any help with relationship counselling or marriage counselling, we at The Family Enhancement Centre, work on resolving issues between couples. You can call us to book an appointment in your preferred language. Our offices are located at Brampton, Niagara Falls, Mississauga and Orangeville. Our counsellors work their best to help you maintain a state of wellness for yourself and your family.