The Family Enhancement Centre is a leading provider of counselling services for children in Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, St. Catharines and Orangeville. We have a team of highly skilled and professionally trained child counsellors / play therapists that have years of experience helping children heal through play, art and imagination.
Play Therapy / Art Therapy
Our child counsellors work with children through play therapy. Play therapy is a therapeutic intervention where a qualified counsellor uses different kinds of techniques and activities to engage children in therapy through role playing and games.
Play therapy has found to be much more effective when working with children than traditional ‘talk therapy’ for various reasons. When children are struggling with emotional problems, they usually don’t have the language and cognitive ability to express their thoughts and feelings in a verbal way. However art and play is what children know best! Play therapy is beneficial for children struggling with all kinds of things whether it is at home, at their school or in the community.
Parent & Child Anger Management Counselling
All kids get angry, like most adults. When we feel threatened, we move into fight, flight or freeze. Anger is the body’s “fight” response. At The Family Enhancement Centre we offer a collaborative parent and child counselling program to help children with managing their angry emotions. Our child counsellors work with the parents to help kids learn how to express their emotions in a healthy and safe way. To learn more, call our office or send us an email at email@example.com.
Here are some of the situations where play therapy can help:
- Children who are going through or have gone through a change in their family dynamic like separation or divorce of their parents, or an introduction to new step parents
- Children who have experienced sexual, physical or emotional abuse. Regardless of how ‘ok’ your child looks they need to see a professional to help them sort out all their confusing feelings
- Children who have experienced the death or loss of a loved one. This can span all situations from being brought into foster care to having an older sibling move away to college to the death of a grandparent – or even a family pet!
- Children who have a physical illness and require hospitalization and their siblings. Often parents are so worried about their child’s’ physical health they forget about their mental
- Children who have been involved in a motor vehicle accident or who have had a loved one involved in a motor vehicle accident. Such traumatic events can leave lasting damage if not dealt with
- Children who have other diagnosis such as a Learning Disability or ADD / ADHD often feel alone and like an outsider. Play therapy is a great way to really know how your child is feeling and how best you can help them
- Any child who has come from a home with violence in it, has witnessed violence or has even had a family member who has been assaulted needs to see a professional. It is amazing how much fear and guilt children can carry with them after these situations
In addition of above points, if you notice any of the following signs in your children it may be an indication that they need help:
- Do they seem overly angry or have aggressive behavior?
- Does your child seem sad or fearful for no reason?
- Is your child overly anxious when you are separated?
- Is your child’s shyness causing problem?
- Is your child displaying behaviors that they had grown out of? Such as sucking their thumb or talking in ‘baby talk’?
- Does your child seem to have low self-esteem?
- Does your child have problems sleeping, eating or eliminating waste?
- Do you see a preoccupation with sexual behavior?
- Does your child complain of physical symptoms such as headaches or stomach aches that don’t seem to have any connection to their physical health?
Some of the benefits that you can expect after play therapy:
- An increase in self-confidence
- A reduction in anxiety
- An increased ability to express their feelings
- An ability to develop healthy boundaries
- An ability to trust themselves and others and feel safe
- A reconnection of healthy relationships
- An increase of more appropriate behavior
Why choose us for your child’s counselling needs:
- No waiting lists
- Input in choosing your therapist or counsellor
- Services by Registered Social Workers, Psychologists, Counsellors and Play Therapists
- Counselling in multiple languages
- Services may be covered under extended health care plans
- Conveniently located in Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, St. Catharines and Orangeville
The Family Enhancement Centre now offers comprehensive psychoeducational assessments for children, adolescents and adults for the purpose of assessing cognitive and intellectual functioning, learning challenges and giftedness. To learn more about this service, visit our web page…read more.