The Family Enhancement Centre is a leading provider of grief counselling / bereavement counselling in Brampton, Mississauga, Niagara Falls and Orangeville.
When you lose someone or something precious to you, it’s natural to experience pain and grief. The process of grief and bereavement is normal, and most people go through it. But when grief takes over your life and makes you feel hopeless, worthless and helpless, then it becomes important to talk to a therapist about telling the difference between normal grief and depression.
Grief counseling is a kind of psychotherapy designed to help people cope with grief and mourning following the death of a loved one, or with major life event that trigger feelings of grief (For example – divorce, job loss, loss of a beloved pet, end of a dream, loss of a friendship)
Consider getting help for grief counselling if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Intense sadness
- Preoccupation with the deceased or with the circumstances surrounding the death
- Longing or yearning
- Feelings of emptiness, meaninglessness or worthlessness
- Difficulty engaging in happy memories
- Avoidance of reminders of the deceased
- Lack of desire in pursuing personal interests or plans
- Bitterness or anger
We have a team of highly trained bereavement counsellors in Brampton, Mississauga, Niagara Falls and Orangeville, who have years of experience helping people deal with issues related to grief and mourning effectively.
Our Grief counselors believe that every individual experiences and expresses grief in their own way, which is usually shaped by their culture, beliefs and relationship to what was lost. They understand that it is not abnormal for a person to withdraw from their friends and family and feel incapable; some might be angry and want to take action. Our team include social workers, mental health therapists, family counsellors, bereavement counsellors, play therapists, psychotherapists and counselling psychologists.
The experience of grief and bereavement is not something a person ever recovers from completely, but with the passage of time its intensity reduces.
Grief counsellors at The Family Enhancement Centre provide psychotherapy with the objective of:
- Supporting the bereaved to accept the loss by helping him or her to speak about the loss
- Supporting the bereaved to recognize and express feelings related to the loss (for example, anger, guilt, anxiety, helplessness, and pain)
- Helping the bereaved to live without the person who died and to make decisions alone
- Supporting the bereaved to separate emotionally from the person who died and to begin new relationships
- Providing support and time to focus on grieving at critical times such as birthdays and anniversaries
- Explaining normal grieving and the differences in grieving among individuals
- Providing ongoing support
- Supporting the bereaved to understand his or her methods of coping
- Identifying coping difficulties the bereaved may have and advising for professional grief therapy
Our bereavement counsellors and therapists are highly skilled in:
- Working with individuals, groups, families, schools, corporations, and agencies to deal with all grief-related problems
- Understanding complicated and uncomplicated grief
- Working with traumatized clients
- Providing critical incident stress debriefing
- Formulating strategies for crisis intervention
Grief therapy approach
When providing grief therapy our therapists use following approaches to support a mourner work through grief:
- Reinforcing the ability to feel, express, and adjust to painful grief-related changes
- Formulate effective ways to cope with painful changes
- Establish a continuing relationship with the deceased
- Stay healthy and keep functioning
- Re-establish relationships and accepting that others may have trouble empathizing with the grief they experience
- Build a healthy image of oneself and the world
If you or somebody you know is going through a deep phase of grief and showing any of the symptoms mentioned above, contact us today. We have been providing grief counselling services for over a decade and have centers in Brampton, Mississauga, Niagara Falls & Orangeville. Our grief program include providing emotional support, problem-solving assistance, information and guidance for people who have recently lost a loved one. Services are available for widows and widowers, children who have lost a parent, parents who have lost a child, and other people who are grieving.
[dt_sc_callout_box type=”type2″ button_text=”Book Now” link=”https://www.tfec.ca/book-appointment/” target=_blank]
Book an appointment for grief counselling service today!
We are a full service counselling centre dedicated to helping you achieve and maintain a state of wellness for yourself and your family.