Ruth Simmonds is a Registered Social Worker with over 20 years of experience. She is highly skilled in applying knowledge and skills developed through training and experience of Family Systems Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Triple P Parenting, and Collaborative Problem Solving to treatment.
Ruth’s extensive experience include:
- Interviewing, assessing and providing ongoing individual therapy to adolescents who were dealing with issues such as anxiety, depression, addictions, sexual identity, self-harming behaviour, and suicidal ideation
- Providing crisis intervention to adolescents who had made a suicide attempt
- Counselling and supporting parents of young people on issues such as domestic violence, separation and divorce, and bereavement
- Advocating for clients within and outside the organization when appropriate
- Co-facilitating two adolescent girls groups that dealt with issues of sexuality, substance misuse, and body image
- Co-led Addictions Awareness Group and Problem Solving Group
- Serving as liaison between family members of forty patients in a maximum secure mental health facility and other professionals on staff
Ruth has done Masters in Social Work from Wilfrid Laurier University with area of concentration as Individuals, Families and Groups. She also holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Trent University with specialization in Psychology and Sociology.
Ruth is also certified in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy; Solution Focused Brief Therapy; Triple P Parenting Programs; Training as facilitator in Facing Your Fears – Anxiety Group for Children Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder; and Continuous training and workshops on issues such as self-harming and suicidal behaviour, bereavement, and drug and alcohol misuse.
Wednesdays from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM and from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Location: St. Catharines.