Ruth Simmonds is a Registered Social Worker with over 20 years’ experience and specialized training in Family Systems Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Triple P Parenting, and Collaborative Problem Solving.
Ruth’s experience includes:
- Interviewing, assessing and providing ongoing individual therapy to adolescents dealing with anxiety, depression, sexual identity issues, self-harming behaviour, and suicidal ideation
- Providing crisis intervention to adolescents who had made a suicide attempt
- Counselling and supporting parents of young people on domestic violence, separation and divorce, and bereavement
- Advocating for clients within and outside the organization when appropriate
- Co-facilitating two adolescent girls’ groups that dealt with issues of sexuality and body image
- Co-leading Problem Solving Group
- Serving as liaison between family members of forty patients in a maximum secure mental health facility and other professionals on staff
- Masters in Social Work from Wilfrid Laurier University with concentration in Individuals, Families and Groups.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree from Trent University with specialization in Psychology and Sociology.
- Certified in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Triple P Parenting Programs
- Training as facilitator in Facing Your Fears – Anxiety Group for Children Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Continuous training and workshops on self-harming and suicidal behaviour, bereavement, and other issues.
Wednesdays from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM and from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Location: St. Catharines.