Trauma & PTSD Counselling
The Family Enhancement Centre is a leading provider of trauma counselling services in Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, St. Catharines and Orangeville. We have a team of highly experienced registered social workers, family counsellors, marriage counsellors and play therapists with extensive experience in helping people with trauma. We have been providing trauma counselling services to children, youth, couples and families for over a decade.
Trauma is a distressing event that can cause a person feel severely threatened emotionally, psychologically, or physically. And such an incident can take a tremendous toll on the human mind. While victims might not know it immediately, the event might have triggered subtle changes within their brain chemistry. And these changes can have lasting repercussions on the person’s day-to-day lives.
Most of us will experience a traumatic event at some point in our lives, such as the death of a loved one, a car accident, abuse or neglect, witnessing violence or a criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster. Many people recover from trauma with time and through the support of family members and friends, bouncing back with resiliency. However for some, the pain and effects of trauma do not go away, causing a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or post-traumatic stress far after the event has passed. In such cases, the support, guidance, and assistance of mental health therapists is fundamental to healing from trauma.
In order to respond to the mental health difficulties suffered by victims of traumatic incidents, the specialists at The Family Enhancement Centre offer a comprehensive counselling service. Our counselling team works with victims of incidents such as vehicle accidents and sexual assaults to help eliminate issues such as flashbacks, nightmares and panic attacks. It’s an expert service offered to children, youths, adults and entire family groups.
Different approaches used to heal trauma include Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Constructivist Self Development Theory (CSDT), Somatic Trauma Therapy, Survivor Therapy, Post Traumatic Stress Model PTSD and Complex PTSD.
When to seek professional help for Trauma Counselling
- You feel unable to function in day-to-day life
- You feel difficulty in maintaining relationships
- You are trying to heal yourself with alcohol / drugs
- You are experiencing severe flashbacks
- You feel emotionally drained
- You are suffering from insomnia / stress anxiety disorder due to trauma
- You have no self esteem
- You experience chronic anger or resentment
- You have feelings of hopelessness or despair
How to cope with trauma
Keeping these tips in mind will help you in dealing effectively with trauma:
- Don’t isolate yourself
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help
- Participate in social activities
- Volunteer to help others
- Stick to a daily routine
- Acknowledge feelings as they occur and accept reality
- Take care of yourself
- Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Learn breathing exercises and relaxation techniques
Advantages of working with The Family Enhancement Centre
- No wait list. Appointment available within a week
- Easy to reach with convenient locations in Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, St. Catharines and Orangeville.
- Experienced counsellors with Master degrees in Social Work, Counselling Psychology and Play Therapy
- Therapy in multiple languages – English, French, Spanish, Cantonese, Hindi, Punjabi and Malayalam
- Option of in-person, phone and video counselling
- Coverage may be available under extended health care benefits
Get In Touch
Book an appointment with one of our counsellors today!